One of the most common questions we receive are: “What is black rice?” and “How is this different from brown rice?” Let’s find out what this mysterious grain is all about!
The two grains Beyond Sushi uses is
Six-Grain Rice and Forbidden Black Rice.
On our website, we have a page called “VegFACT”, which provides all the different nutritious values contained in our rolls. Here I have listed brief descriptions about each grain.
Brown Rice is whole grain rice that is more nutritious than white rice. It contains carbs, fiber, protein, fat, iron, vitamin B1, and vitamin B3.
Forbidden Black Rice is high in nutritional value and contains 18 amino acids, iron, zinc, copper, carotene, and fiber.
Six-Grain Rice is customized rice blend of Beyond Sushi with red rice, short grain, brown rice, black rice, eye berries, Hulless barley, and pearl barley. It’s a great source of fiber, iron, protein, and vitamin B. This is a little different from black rice and is not gluten-free because of the barley.
Switching from white rice to brown or black rice is a great way to add more nutrients to your diet. Adding black rice to your diet will improve the nutritional quality even more. Black rice has lower calories than brown rice and proven to be a better source of fiber. Researchers say it’s a better source of antioxidants too.
Black rice has less carbs, higher in fiber and
good source of protein and iron.
Still don’t believe us? Black rice not only includes all the same health benefits as brown rice, but even more nutrients. The dark color of black rice contains the same anthocyanin antioxidants found in blackberries and blueberries. Anthocyanin is an antioxidant that can help fight against heart disease, cancer, and other diseases. One spoonful of black rice bran has more antioxidant power than one spoonful of blueberries or blackberries. Brown rice is great but we choose black rice because it’s more nutritious.
How do we use black rice in our menu?
Black rice is included in our sushi rolls, individual pieces, rice bed salads, and hand rolls.
Where to get it?
You can find Forbidden Black Rice locally.
[F U N - F A C T S]
- Black rice is sometimes referred to as “purple rice” because after being soaked or cooked, it changes from black into a deep purple or burgundy color.
- It is known as “Forbidden Rice” because in ancient China, it was reserved for the emperor and upper class. Commoners were forbidden from eating it.
- Black rice is often chosen in recipes for desserts because its natural flavor is rich and sweet. (We have a recipe below, but check out Yummly for even more dessert recipes using black rice!)
- Black rice is being researched to prevent Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and even cancer.
- During the Ming Dynasty, emperors believed that eating black rice promised a long life of good health.
- Rice can be found on all continents except on the Antarctica.
Some recipes using black rice for you to try!
Vegan Forbidden Rice Salad:
7 Ingredient Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms:
Thai Black Sticky Rice Dessert